It has finally become rainy season again. It’s rained about four or five times a week, often at night. Thus it’s been cooler, too.
Gathering water for the garden has thus been easy.
The main success this month has been pumpkins again. So far I have harvested 25 full size pumpkins. We’ve eaten boiled pumpkin, steamed pumpkin, baked pumpkin, stuffed baked pumpkin, pumpkin soup and baked pumpkin dessert. And I have cut and air dried the surplus pumpkin, then vacuum-packed and frozen it. I have then tested the frozen pumpkin by steaming it, and it was good, so this freezing method works.
The procedure is simple. Just cut the pumpkin into wedges and let it dry out overnight – maybe in an air-conditioned room. The vacuum packing is easy. Just put the wedges into zip lock bags. Insert a drinking straw through the opening and then seal the rest of the bag. Suck the air out, quickly remove the straw and seal. It works well.
There are still four pumpkins growing on the vines. Some of the vines have been dying off, and I have used them as mulch – as you can see below.
And a new vine that I discovered a month ago is growing. I don’t know if it will grow big and produce like the other two vines.
Early every year I germinate some passion fruit seeds from the previous year’s crop. So far the plant pictured above is the biggest. But there are others pictured below, some of which I have already transplanted, and some of which are still in the pot.
And otherwise nothing much has changed. Normally in a month or two the passion fruit vines will start growing faster again. And I will have to clear away many pumpkin vines. And we had a visit from a lizard one day…